Director, Lab Operations
Headquarters: Mountain View, CA
See all 23andMe jobs →
23andMe is looking for a Director, Lab Operations who can deliver outstanding customer experience by scaling laboratory operations through highly seasonal, rapid growth in an emerging direct-to-consumer, regulated market segment.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
You will be responsible for the short- and long-term planning, organization, coordination, management, and oversight of all aspects of Laboratory Operations. You deliver unprecedented turnaround times with a keen eye on quality, compliance, and cost. You will work closely with executives, project managers, laboratory operations specialists, development operations specialist, supply chain, regulatory, quality, and other internal / external stakeholders to shape the future of laboratory operations. You will oversee existing operations while building the future. We're looking for someone who will bring an exceptional focus on the customer, data driven decisions, and an ability to liaise at the executive level to deliver unprecedented laboratory operations.
What you’ll do
- Provide leadership and oversight to manage short and long-term strategic planning and organization of all aspects of Laboratory operations.
- Drive long-range planning and budgeting; determine personnel, equipment, regulatory, and space needs in a rapidly scaling business.
- Work cross-functionally internally and externally at all levels to ensure all aspects of laboratory operations are delivered in compliance with applicable regulation and best-in-class customer experiences.
- Drive executive-level decisions and collaborations.
- Drive decision making through data, collaboration, and being able to think big.
- Deliver best-in-class customer experience through predictable and scalable operations.
- Oversee Laboratory Operations, including monitoring of performance, documentation and improvement in processes, actively seek customer experience feedback, and identifying opportunities for gains in efficiency and effectiveness.
- Hire, train, and oversee the performance of laboratory technicians and support staff. Set work performance standards, prioritize, and provide technical expertise. This will include hiring and active management of all laboratory operations staff.
- Set the example for knowledge of advances in laboratory technology; federal and state regulations; and laboratory management.
What you’ll bring
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience managing complex laboratory operations in a highly regulated environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science; MBA, PhD, or MS preferred.
- Experience in a regulated industry.
- Experience leading a rapidly growing team.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and operate at the executive level.
- Demonstrated results in both owner operated and contracted laboratory operations environments.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with success in working across organizations at all levels and managing various levels of employees.
- Financial acumen with experience overseeing operational and project budgets.
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with medical devices and FDA regulations.
- Experience with OSHA, CLIA, HIPAA, CAP, NY-CLEP, ISO.
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Project, Excel and PowerPoint) skills.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.