Etsy is looking for Software Engineers to join our Machine Learning Infrastructure team to build the next generation Machine Learning Platform and help us connect buyers and sellers in meaningful ways.
This is a full-time role located in San Francisco, CA
The Machine Learning Infrastructure team is part of Etsy's Platform Engineering organization. Our mission is to build, evolve, and scale state-of-the-art machine learning system infrastructure powering Etsy’s AI platform. For many sellers, Etsy is their primary source of income, and we work hard to support them. We continue to improve our portfolio to ship new relevance based AI products every year. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with many of our data science and ML teams, big data and infrastructure partners and many more product squads. We’re a small team with huge impact that builds tools and platform capabilities for our data scientists to quickly build machine learning models, test hypotheses and productionize them on our ML platform hosted in Google Cloud. We value empathy, communication and technical skills equally.
What You Will Do
- Design, build and evolve the core ML system infrastructure components and services
- Work cross-functionally with various product engineering and data science teams
- Be a customer of our own infrastructure, develop a deeper understanding of various machine learning frameworks to make careful design choices while building the platform infrastructure
- Drive for adoption of best practices in ML, data pipelines and distributed systems
Who You Are
- You’re an engineer with Machine Learning, System Infrastructure and/or distributed systems background that takes pride in building large scale, high performance and fault tolerant systems. You care deeply about the product and know how and when to make trade-offs. Here are some of the skills we are looking for in this role:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field or BS with 4+ years of equivalent work experience
- Experience with high-volume real time and batch streaming data in a machine learning environment
- Experience working with large scale distributed system architectures
- Experience with Hadoop and MapReduce-based / equivalent architectures
- Fluency in Scala, C++ and/or Python
- Experience with Docker or a similar container framework and container orchestration tools such as Kubernetes
- Experience building/managing/operating environments in public cloud such as Google/AWS would be a big plus
- Familiarity with A/B testing
- Strong understanding of Big Data, Machine Learning algorithms and techniques
Nice To Have
- You have industry experience with ML frameworks such as Scikit-learn, PyTorch, Tensorflow
- You have experience building high-volume real time and batch streaming data pipelines in a machine learning environment
- You optionally have experience with data processing frameworks such as Hadoop, Scalding, Spark, Storm, Google DataProc, Google Data Flow, etc.
- You have experience with Docker or a similar container framework and container orchestration tools such as Kubernetes
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
- Information Technology & Services
- Information Technology