501 West Apple Street
Freeburg, Illinois 62243
4301 Cheyenne Drive
Archdale, NC 27263
Automation Engineer, is responsible for designing, programing, simulating, developing, testing and managing systems for automated machinery and processes within a manufacturing and/or warehouse environment. The role will collaborate with others and be responsible for specifying, installing, documenting, and troubleshooting automation equipment for new and existing products and processes, translating conceptual designs into functional equipment and products. The engineer will improve plant and equipment operating efficiency by providing automation and engineering support to the plant operations. Develops and enhances process automation application for present and future automation systems. The role will work with other similar positions across the enterprise to provide management with recommendations on technical advances to achieve company goals and maximizes productivity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing automation projects built by outside custom automation vendors including concept work, equipment specification, project management, factory acceptance testing, installation, and commissioning/debug.
- Responsible for identifying and leading automated equipment projects to increase production capacity and improve product quality.
- Identify potential process improvement projects, design and develop programs to address.
- Develops/reviews/maintains/update related documentation, files, procedures, databases, drawings and schematics in order to ensure integrity of unit instrument and process control technologies.
- Build prototypes to prove complex/high-risk processes prior to final design.
- Work with Product Designers, Project Managers, and Manufacturing personnel to refine product and equipment designs.
- Complete assigned work within agreed upon schedule and budget while maintaining high level of quality.
- Determine where opportunities exist to implement automation by working closely with Product Designers, Project Managers, and Manufacturing teams.
- Provide direction to engineers and technicians assisting in the construction, troubleshooting, and documentation of equipment.
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
Manufacturing Operations Support
- Develop and implement long range plans for process control improvements.
- Guide and train designated employees on process control methodology to assist process control improvement efforts.
- Develop/modify procedures & training guidelines as needed for automation processes, including training of setup and maintenance personnel.
- Assist in achieving manufacturing objectives.
- Provide leadership and communication to all project team members and functional managers such that the project objectives are clear, responsibilities are understood and progress is tracked and reported.
- Provides project team input on system capabilities and assist teams with system design decisions.
- Prioritize and balance workload of multiple project assignments based on business and functional objectives.
- Solid knowledge in the Automation/Electrical Engineering Design field, with extensive technical experience in the design, optimization, and build of automation equipment.
- Interface with mechanical team to control the architecture design and implementation, ensuring the correct support of motion controller configuration, setup, fine tuning, data collection, data analysis and reporting, and equipment safety requirements.
- Specific engineering experience required includes electrical hardware design, automation software programming, HMI design, and machine safety design.
- Maintain current and ensure appropriate SOP’s are followed on all projects, including: equipment development process, product development process and process controls
- Performs other related duties and tasks as required.
Skills and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Responsibilities include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Ability to manage tight deadlines, prioritize workload and achieve effective results in a fast-paced, dynamic, ever-growing and often ambiguous environment; effective multi-tasking skills are vital.
- Strong appreciation for data integrity and clear process definitions
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to exercise good judgment and utilize decision making skills
- Must be detail oriented
- Must be organized and have the ability and drive to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors of Science degree in Automation, Electrical or other related engineering discipline.
- 8+ years in a manufacturing environment with demonstrated ability developing and implementing automation processes and equipment.
- Possess plant maintenance and operation knowledge along with technical skills to perform assigned duties. Knowledge of extrusion or injection molding is a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Instrumentation & Process Control engineering concepts and design including circuits, control systems, as well as a general knowledge of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the principles of operation, reliability and performance characteristics of process measurement instrumentation, analyzers, control valves, and VFDs.
- Must have a very broad electrical background, including hands on experience with PLC’s/HMI, robots, motion controls and associated programming software.
- Demonstrated ability to meet demanding deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team member to accomplish objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Demonstrated success in managing and leading both long-term programs/projects, as well as address shot-term operational issues.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.