United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10207322
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
08/03/2018 - 08/09/2018
FORENSIC LATENT PRINT ANALYST
F & TSD LABORATORY
22433 RANDOLPH DR
DULLES, VA 20104-9998
TITLE: FORENSIC LATENT PRINT ANALYST
GRADE: W2 - 02
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 0072-0011
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Saturday/Sunday
HOURS: 08:00 A.M. to 04:30 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 59,250.00 - 125,300.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 512755
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
Conducts forensic analyses to develop and identify latent prints utilizing appropriate scientific methodologies, forensic
techniques, and quality assurance practices in support of criminal and administrative investigations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Conducts forensic examinations of latent prints through the application of scientific practices for the recognition, collection,
analysis, and interpretation of physical evidence for criminal and civil law or regulatory purposes to include examination of
evidence using biological, chemical, and physical methods.
2. Examines and analyzes evidence and interprets scientific observations and data to render conclusions, form opinions and
3. Provides expert witness testimony; produces comprehensive reports and illustrative exhibits for federal, state, and local
judicial proceedings at a level sufficient to explain evidence interpretations and conclusions from forensic examinations and
scientific data to a lay audience.
4. Serves as a subject matter expert and technical advisor in matters relating to the proper collection, preservation,
packaging, and submission of criminal evidence; participates in crime scene evidence collection activities in major field
investigations; ensures evidence handling requirements are met.
5. Performs ongoing evaluation and validation of laboratory instrumentation and methods, operating protocols, and safety
practices under supervision; maintains awareness of safety procedures and identifies possible physical conditions and/or
laboratory procedures that may create unsafe conditions.
6. Delivers training in laboratory services, evidence collection, crime scene processing and field examination.
7. Conducts studies and research for improving forensic analyses, scientific methods, and criminal identification procedures.
8. Acts as liaison with postal management and federal, state, and local organizations on technical developments, forensic
methods, and investigative problems of common interest.
Assistant Laboratory Director
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in order to prepare reports of examination results and conclusions, and provide
testimony as an expert witness before state, federal or other judicial bodies.
2. Ability to provide training related to laboratory services, evidence collection, and field examination.
3. Ability to conduct and document scientific research related to latent print examinations.
4. Skill in the use of magnifiers and digital / optical enhancement instrumentation.
5. Knowledge of forensic science techniques, laboratory protocols, scientific methodologies, quality assurance standards and
latent print examination procedures sufficient to conduct detailed and complex analyses and interpretation of the value of
6. Ability to render conclusions/opinions and make recommendations based on scientific practices of recognition, collection,
and interpretation of physical evidence related to latent print examinations.
7. Knowledge of evidence collection, preservation, packaging and shipment procedures sufficient to serve as a technical
advisor in such matters and to ensure evidence handling requirements are met.
8. EDUCATION: Applicants must possess a Bachelor's degree in forensic science, physical or biological sciences, life
sciences, chemistry or a closely related field from a college or university accredited by a national or regional accreditation
organization recognized and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Security clearance requires a background investigation, a criminal records check, and proof of U.S.
citizenship. Qualified applicant (if not currently an Inspection Service employee) must successfully pass a drug screening to
meet the Inspection Service's requirement.
Reimbursement of relocation expenses will NOT be authorized.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.