VMware has recently announced the Beta of our state-of-the-art blockchain service. We are now recruiting a team to fuel the sustained growth of this product line based on a deep pipeline of research results originated in the VMware Research Group (VRG). Our goal is to amplify research results and rapidly transfer them downstream towards production. We are seeking strong software engineers to join this new team and help VMware pioneer in the emerging blockchain industry.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About The Role.
You are known for your ability to bridge the gap between research and production-quality engineering. You are an expert in your field. As part of our blockchain advanced development team, you will be involved in experimental and directed systems R&D. You will evaluate, refine, scale, and assume responsibility for hardened prototypes that embody ground-breaking research ideas originated in the VMware Research Group.
Members of this team will work closely both with the VMware Research Group (VRG) and blockchain engineering team and will report to a manager within the office of the CTO. Your projects will be chosen based on research readiness, product team priorities, and timeline suitability. The primary success criterion of this role is to deliver hardened research prototypes that will be deployed as part of the production service. When your work is ready to go into production, you and/or your system will move into the blockchain engineering team.
Your primary responsibilities are as follows:
- You will participate in the experimental and systems aspects of the blockchain research pipeline, and you will produce hardened prototypes that you can readily incorporate into our product. Making a difference to the product will be your highest priority.
- To inform and advance your work, you will engage with VMware’s product teams (both the blockchain product team and others whose products are integrated with our offering) and with our customers.
- To increase the potential for impact, you will engage with the broader blockchain community. In some (although not all) cases you will make your work available as part of our Project Concord open-source initiative, and you will collaborate with technology partners in industry and academia on joint projects.
- You have a degree in computer science/computer engineering or equivalent (advance degree preferred).
- You have experience writing production-level code and working with production software teams
- You have demonstrated ability to define and pursue systems research, as indicated by a track record of translating theoretical advances into stuff that people use --- prototypes, open source code, etc.
- You have expertise in one of several areas relevant to VMware’s blockchain research (distributed systems, storage and databases, cryptography).
- You have excellent communication skills, both in prose and in presentation