As a Senior Data Scientist in Wealthfront’s Research organization, you’ll be responsible for improving the quality of our decisions using data and the scientific method. Your work will generate tools and insights that inform product and business decisions throughout the company and across the product lifecycle, from ideation and research to launch and iteration. You will mentor and collaborate with your data science colleagues with a focus on technical skills and career development. We are fortunate to work with experienced product managers and engineers that have worked on products at companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter and Apple. This is an opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced operators in the startup world and to further an important and meaningful mission.
What you'll do
- Work closely with cross-functional teams of product managers and engineers, translating open-ended business issues into data questions, identifying practical approaches to answer them, and carrying out timely and well-documented analyses that influence our product and company strategy
- Formally mentor junior colleagues and provide technical guidance to the team
- Continuously look for, and execute upon, opportunities to improve the quality of our data, infrastructure and products
- Understand and communicate a data-driven picture of our clients, product and business (and their interaction) to the company
- Promote the automation of repetitive tasks and the creation of tools over ad hoc analyses, making your insights available to anyone that can benefit from them
What we're looking for:
- You subscribe to Wealthfront’s values and mission and can articulate the reasons why, and have an understanding of our product, business model and key metrics
- 4+ years of experience operating successfully within a world-class data science team or academic program
- Ability to access, munge, visualize, and model datasets with minimal engineering support, and communicate your results clearly, both verbally and in writing
- A firm foundation, rooted in experience, of the basic tool-box of regression and classification models, as well as causal inference, experimental design and time series modeling
- You can effectively prioritize and objectively edit your own work
- You care about producing reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end
- You enjoy mentoring others on subjects such as causal inference, experimental design, data visualization or behavioral psychology
- You have built something first hand that you’re proud of
- You are currently learning something outside of your immediate line of work
- Programming competency in R, SQL and Scala is a plus
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, mathematics, economics or related field
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront’s vision is to optimize and automate our clients' finances exclusively through software. We've engineered a platform that delivers highly personalized advice and services including investment management, financial planning, and personal banking.
Wealthfront employees enable our clients to achieve their financial goals by developing sophisticated algorithms and investment strategies, intuitive user experiences and scalable infrastructure to continuously deploy mission-critical code. Join us as we help clients create their roadmap to financial freedom and scale from $11 billion in assets under management to trillions (yes, trillions).